Thursday, June 4, 2009

Happy Birthday!

Something amazing happened yesterday. Something that sneaked up on me so fast that I barely had time to post this before it was here and gone. What could it have been? Was it the 65th anniversary of D-Day? The great Seattle fire of 1889? First drive in opens in 1933? Was it the day in 1990 when U.S. District court judge Jose Gonzales ruled that the rap album As Nasty As They Wanna Be by 2 Live Crew violated Florida's obscenity law; declaring that the predominant subject matter of the record is "directed to the 'dirty' thoughts and the loins, not to the intellect and the mind."? St. Claudius Day? Nope none of those, although they all happened on June 6th. It’s something more unbelievable and unexpected. The Missing Piece turned one year old yesterday - much more important than winning a world war or infringing on the first amendment, don’t you think? Yeah, me neither, but we made it a year!

We’ve covered a lot of ground together. We’ve discussed trash and recycling. We’ve discussed, politics, the economy, and assassinations. We’ve been introduced to some seriously righteous movies and did some mind-boggling calculations. In my first year The Missing Piece has had about 3500 visitors, which is around ten visits per day. Not too shabby considering Facebook only gets 700 million site visits per day. I’m coming for you Facebook. Hey, I’ll take ten visits per day. Washing too many brains at once could cause a tear in the thin fabric that holds society together. Best to do it slowly. In this first year, I’ve posted at least one post per week religiously for a grand total of 54 posts. Now that’s spewing a lot of BS. Don’t worry there’s more in here {points to head}. However, I grossly underestimated the amount of time that a blog needs to blossom and grow into something that is worth reading. So for the next year I will only be posting one steaming pile of knowledge every two weeks rather than every week…unless I get a wild hair up my ass about something. I believe it will lighten my load considerably. Who knows, it may even leave me time to take a shower during the week.

So, who has been visiting the blog over the past year? I’ve had visitors from every part of the globe, including Antarctica. There are even a couple of people that check up on me regularly, locally and internationally. Thanks guys. I truly appreciate it. You keep me going, and I seriously owe you a beer.

What were the most visited posts? Well, by far the most searched for post was the SW threading tutorial. It seems like I have the market cornered on that one. A close second was the post on Choroid Plexus Cysts. Unfortunately, it looks like a lot of people are going through exactly what I went through. Way back in third place was, surprisingly, the Terror Firmer review. Hopefully these posts were helpful to the folks that found them. Now, the posts that got the highest ratings (based on some telemetry such as number of comments, links etc.) were, in ascending order: Pull My Finger, 12 Days of Shite Movies, RNC, and the most popular post of the first year was (drumroll please) – The Hydrogen Bombs Essay. Sweet. I toil for weeks writing exposes covering the ills of recycling, weather or not to buy organic milk, or how wind turbines could save the world but ruin your life, and the post the people liked the most is loaded with fart jokes. Nice.

What was my favorite post of the past year? Well, I’d be lying to you if I didn’t admit that the hydrogen bombs essay was in the top five, but I think the ones that I had the most fun writing (which not coincidentally took the longest to write) were The Misanthrope’s List and Life by 100 Cuts. The former was definitely more fun to write than the latter, probably because I’m such a jaggoff.

So, please join me in wishing The Missing Piece a Happy First Birthday. It’s been a fun year. See, that’s way more important in the grand scheme of things than Operation Overlord, which landed 160,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France in the largest amphibious military operation in history resulting in around 4400 Allied dead. Isn’t it? No?!? Seriously, thanks to all of the Missing Piece readers out there, and I promise you I will continue to work as hard as I can to put out more slightly interesting garbage that you may or may not find interesting. Any suggestions for the next year?

No comments: