Sunday, May 3, 2009

Daniel P.'s Metal Art

In keeping with the artwork theme from last week I thought I'd share some of the projects that I have been working on in the past year. I think the images below are a pretty good representative sample. What you see below are photo-renderings of metal and acrylic pieces that I first design and draw using my favorite CAD software then have waterjet cut and polished into the final product. Many of you will notice that much of what is shown below is directly related to the Left Hand Brewery in Longmont, CO. Some of my pieces are on display there. I first started making these pieces as a gift to the brewery for their continual hospitality and brilliantly crafted brews, but it has since morphed into a new time-sucking hobby of mine. Since these are cut out of metal and left in their raw metal form, I generally only have two colors to deal with (the metal is either there or not there), and the idea of presence and absence pervades each piece. I've designed items as simple as house numbers to pieces as complicated as the rugby scenes below. I think my favorite part of the process is the drawing phase where decisions are made that determine the organic nature of the entire project. This is also the most difficult and tedious part, but we should suffer for our art. Shouldn't we? Anyway, I thought that I'd share a bit of what I've been up to. Let me know what you think.































































































3 comments:

The Hippy said...

You can add my house to the Daniel P. artwalk...

TJ said...

Holy shit, dude! You made those? That's amazing! How did I not know this? You're far too humble for your own good. I'm with The Hippy, come on over and make something to adorn my modest dwelling.

SOON!

Jen said...

Beautiful work Dan! Where on earth do you find the time between family, work, school, blogging, community activism, and watching all those classic cartoons?

Do you ever sleep?