Sunday, April 26, 2009

Running the Numbers

As you're no doubt aware by now I have been trying to use The Missing Piece to further my (and hopefully your) knowledge about various topics that are batted about from day-to-day without being given too much cursory thought: Should I choose paper or plastic? Should I recycle? What is the best horror movie to watch with the family? Some might argue that most of the topics presented here don’t deserve much cursory thought, but that’s another discussion altogether. It has been my goal to discuss varied issues in a way that offers a fresh dose of perspective on topics that are often taken for granted. I believe that sometimes all it takes is putting another set of eyes on something in order to really help get a firm grasp a subject. That’s what I am…another set of eyeballs. I guess eyeballs are better that another set of balls that I am often compared to. Anyway, this week I wanted to take a break from being eyeballs in order to point out a brilliant artist that has created an art form out of offering a fresh perspective. I stumbled across his work on the web accidentally a couple of months ago when I was researching my landfill article. Chris Jordan has turned his unique point of view and exceptional grasp of large numbers into brilliant and poignant pieces of artwork. His pieces capture American and worldwide excess in a way that forces the observer to confront the enormity of the subject matter at hand and entices them to explore it further. This image is composed of one million plastic cups, the number used on airline flights in the US every six hours. Please check out the links below. I don’t really know what art is, but I do know what I like when I see it. And I think Chris’ work is absolutely brilliant.

No comments: